Saturday, November 15, 2008

Feeling Thankful

We have been keeping very busy around here with Thanksgiving activities. We are in the process of starting our Thanksgiving festivities, to include; our thankful tree, which will be posted about later and our Thankful cards. This year we are hosting Thanksgiving dinner at our house and at each place setting I am writing a note as to why I am thankful for having them in my life.


So, I sit down with my smencil pencil (which smells delicious by the way) and away I write. I thought at first it might be challenging, but quickly found the challenge to be in keeping it all to fit on the size of a standard index card. Theses are my rough drafts and I will transfer them over to pretty cardstock (any suggestions?) hand written of course and set them at the table. I asked Reef what he was thankful for and he exclaimed,"hand prints!" I couldn't agree more. Who doesn't love to make hand prints with paint?
Here is a link to where you can buy your own smencils and other fun art supplies from Stubby Pencil Studio.

Have you ever heard of a Thankful flower? We make them this time of year and you most likely will have almost all of the supplies you need on hand already which is something I love.


Coffee filter-check
watercolor paint-check
paintbrush-check
cup of water-check
pipe cleaner-check
construction paper-check
scissors-check
Dip the paintbrush in the water, dip the paintbrush in chosen color of paint, drip or make dots on the filter. Let air dry and take the pipe cleaner and wrap around the center of the filter making a flower. Attach a cut out of a leaf and write a note of thanks on the leaf. Attach the leaf and remember to take a little time to smell the flowers.

2 comments:

Maggie May said...

i love those ideas! i wish we were coming, i'd love to keep those as keepsakes.:) is it just me or do holidays sometimes feel like a competition of gatherings? i think we should all start doing a lottery or something, for whose place to gather at :)

Diana said...

The Thanksgiving Flower looks like a fantastic craft. A bouquet of those would be perfect for the Thanksgiving table. Thanks for sharing!