Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Making plans and taking action


The boys and I have been talking about our upcoming party. You know the one on January 20th, the big inauguration. Reef has decided we need to get some red and blue balloons to celebrate and we have a great template to print out to make the necessary cupcake toppers. After all, what is a party without cupcakes and balloons? Our household is very excited and proud of our country. A change is what is desperately needed right now. I can feel a current running through our nation, through me. I feel that this is the year of change, growth, awareness, awakenings and release from the illusion of control. I am letting go of the oars people and learning I do not have to fight my way against the flow. This is the year and we are excited to celebrate!

I have been thinking about Valentine's Day lately and would like to get a head start on making some fun decorations, cards and gifts. I use this day as a fun way to celebrate our family. While I do not think we need a day to tell us that we should say, "I love you" to the people we love in our lives in a commercialized way, I do enjoy taking the time to think about all of the people whom I am grateful are in my life and to find creative, heartfelt ways of letting them know.
Growing up in my family, Valentine's day was always a fun holiday. My mom would cook my favorite meal-fondue, french fries, corn and bread. Followed by a chocolate cake. The table would be set beautifully with little thoughtful gifts at each place setting and candy. My Dad would get the "You Are Special" plate at his place setting, reserved for only the most important of occasions. So I have a fondness for Valentine's day and look forward to sharing it with my boys (hubby included). Do you have any Valentine's day traditions?

Oh, I almost forgot to add that I am going to try to make these cards this year and this lolly pop project looks like great fun. If you find any great links or have a craft/card that you would like to share, please post them in the comments section.

No comments: